Friday, November 5, 2010

Where can I turn for peace?

I had a bishop a few years ago who challenged us as a ward to do what he called, "The List." It was a list of what we should be doing on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to have the spirit with us. The breakdown was something like this...

Daily:
Kneel in prayer morning and night
Study the Scriptures
Read a conference talk

Weekly:
Attend all church meetings
Write in Journal
Spend time serving, doing your calling 

Monthly:
Attend the temple
Read Patriarchal blessing
Do home and visiting teaching

I took the challenge from the bishop and tried to implement these practices into my life and I really feel like I grew, and my testimony was strengthened more than it had ever been up to that point. I have maintained these habits, and I am so grateful for them. During this time I decided that I needed to try and read my scriptures in the morning, so I could have a better start to my day, and hopefully begin with the spirit as my companion. I now love to read my scriptures while I am eating my breakfast. I have really grown to love doing this. I mean who doesn't love breakfast already...add in some spiritual nourishment and you're golden.

Today I was eating my lunch and I was starting to stress about somethings that I am going through and have on my mind. I started to get that helpless/hopeless feeling that Satan throws as us to try and bring us down, and I looked up and my scriptures were still open from where I had been reading earlier that morning. A rush of calm came over me and I was instantly wanting to read and feel that peace. I have been studying the topic of light, and it has been fascinating. I truly believe that satan wants us to feel dark and alone, but the second we let even a glimmer of Christ into our lives the light that comes with the spirit will flood through all the darkness. Today I am grateful for my scriptures and the peace they bring. I have sincerely grown to love them and the truths they teach.

2 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

So true! I agree 100%! It makes such a difference to incorporate those things on a daily basis!

Tracey said...

Your an amazing girl Megan... Thanks for your sweet testimony. You will make a great mother and wife someday!

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List