Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 1st. Fa la la la la la la la la...

DECEMBER IS HERE!!! I took the liberty of putting up some Christmas decor today. Whenever I put up Christmas decorations it make me miss home because my mom is a holiday decoration connoisseur. Christmas is her forte, she has so many fantastic decorations. It feels like you're walking into santa's workshop, but classier, of course. My few decorations definitely pale in comparison to hers! I love the spirit that Christmas brings. I love the amazing things that people do for each other to lift spirits and change lives.

I have been reading, Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis, and I read a part yesterday that really struck me. In speaking of sacrifice he says,
"I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusement, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small...Sometimes our pride also hinders our charity; we are tempted to spend more than we ought on the showy forms of generosity (tipping, hospitality) and less than we ought on those who really need our help."

With our accustomed lifestyles I think that sacrifice is something that is really a challenge. This quote really struck me because It puts the idea of sacrifice in a whole new perspective. I think that this time of year is a perfect opportunity to sacrifice a bit, so that we can help others wether it be in our time or our resources. There are so many great opportunities to serve. I definitely can improve in that area!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

I love this picture and this post Megan. I have been lousy about reading peoples blogs this year because of health related stuff and just general not feeling well.

My bishop recently gave me a replica of a widows mite. It sits on my nightstand to remind me that I do enough and to remind me that when I can I should to a little more. We are most emulating the Savior when we are serving others and giving of our selves to those around us. I think you do this well and after reading several of your posts tonight I want you to know you have lifted me a little. Thanks for the reminder about the things that are truly important, because you are so good at sticking them in as a reminder. I hope your Christmas was wonderful! Happy New Year! Love, Jes

P.S. I hope you know that you still will have family in the area after Lindsey leaves. I thought about you last night and wondered how this was all affecting you. You know where to find us if you need us and I know you are always welcome!

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List