Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Time for Inspiration

April General Conference is so refreshing. With the spring, and then sun, and Easter. Everything is new. I am feeling like I am more than ready for it this year. I need some divine guidance, some inspiration; The kind that comes when you're able drink in two solid days of prophetic counsel.

The beginning of 2010 has been kind of a roller coaster for me. Stability and consistency are not two words I would use to describe how i've felt for the past three months.
The beginning of January brought a surprising shift in my vocational segment of life. Unfortunately the man I was working for didn't come through as was promised, and suddenly I was only left with my part time training.
Panic initially set in. Stress is what I do best in these types of situations.
Lots of prayer happened. I didn't know if this was a good time for me to make a clean break from Provo, and embark on some new territory. I'd always considered grad school as a great option, but I knew that deadlines would be fast approaching, and I didn't even know if there was a program I'd want to apply for.
More prayer.
My first Sunday back to the 203rd ward, post Christmas break, answered question #1. I was called as the Relief Society Pres. I'll take that as a...I'm supposed to be here answer.
I felt really good about that part.
Now what?
I decided to take matters to the temple. I went every day for a week. More prayer. Lot's more prayer.
In looking through grad school options I found a program that had somehow slipped my searching. A masters in Exercise Science, emphasizing on health promotion. Music to my ears. Deadline for entry: Feb 1st, 2010. Is that some sort of a joke? No. It wasn't.
The day after I found it I went to the professor over the program and talked to him about my chances of getting in, my options, was I crazy. He didn't think so. "Take the GRE," he said. "Go for it."
More prayer. It felt good. It almost seemed to fit too well. With my only working part time I'd be able to spend LOTS of time studying for the GRE. I planned to take the GRE the last week in January, and submit my application on Feb 1st.
Scary. YEP. Lot's of work. Yes indeed. HERE GOES.
Spoke with Cody at Elevate about the possibility of going back to training full time. Absolutely she said. She let me know I'd be her first priority as far as new clients went, until I was full. Cody is awesome. I really do owe her.
SO...I studied my guts out.
Tried to squeeze in some hanging out with Linds time before she moves to Austin.
Scrambled to get my application all ready. Letters of recommendation? Done.
Took the GRE. Hated it a lot, but managed to pull off a decent score. Applied.
Waited.
As soon as I was done applying my client schedule picked up. It was like clockwork it seemed. I knew then and still know now that my Father in Heaven was looking out for me.
Waited.
LOVING. Being back at the gym full time. It seems like I almost had forgotten what it was like to be full force focusing on what I love, what i'm good at. I have had the opportunity to work with an even broader range of clients. I've been able to teach classes. I've been able to really sink my teeth into my area of expertise. That feels good.
Still waiting.
Finally, received and email that told me that..."We regret to inform you that the Exercise Sciences MS program has not recommended you for admission for Fall 2010...." Wait...what? Reread. Yep, it really does say that. "Has not?"Heart sinks a little.
Ummmm...now what? All that perfect timing? All that clockwork? I'd just assumed with how perfectly everything had worked out that it would happen. Apparently the number of applicants increased by 40% this year. Hmmmm....
And here I am.
What now?
I'm not doubting my experiences and promptings thus far this year. I truly believe that the Lord is guiding me to be in whatever direction He wants me to be in. It's just kinda hard to sink my teeth into it. I worked really hard for it. I missed out on lots of hours I could have been playing with Linds.
I can't think of it that way...I know. I have been guided. Guided to where I am now.
I love work.
I love my calling, and my ward, and the people I get to interact with. I feel like the sisters in my Relief Society are some of the most amazing girls I've ever met. I can honestly say that I have such a huge amount of love for each girl. I feel like they are all my close friends.
But I don't like this, "what now?" feeling.
I had a conversation with Rox tonight about where we're headed in life. What lies in store. What our goals are, and where we want to be. She seems to have some sort of plan. I don't. Mine plan got dashed...I've learned over the years that, that seems to happen more often than not. (I get it, I get it...I am not the one steering here.)
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my job. Like I really really LOVE it. I know not many people can say that. Why else would I get up at crack of dawn? It's funny because it almost seems like a lot of people around me don't think that my current job is good enough. My wanting to go back to school, came because I want to keep progressing, not because I don't like what I do. I know education is important, and empowering.
I want to keep improving myself. But, If I do it I want it to be something I feel good about. Something I love. Something that for some reason i just can't seem to put my finger on. I feel like I've searched a lot.
I'm trying to take that step in to the dark knowing the Lord will eventually light the way. But what about when I don't even know where to begin stepping?
Like I said...I need conference.
More Praying.
xoxoxo Megs

4 comments:

Benita said...

I am right there with you. fresh new spring, new weather, new counsel. also.. a new trip to az to leave on tomorrow! yay! I know things will work out for you the way they should! You are one of the most amazing people I know! If anyone deserves things to work out - its you :)

Trav and Linds said...

Seriously, I second this post! I have come to realize our Heavenly Father is definitely in charge and things ultimately work out the way they are supposed to, even if there are some bumps and bruises along the way. I love conference and am looking forward to a lil' counsel from the brethren as well. :)
Megs, you really are such an amazing and inspiring person. I am in awe of everything that you accomplish! I am lucky to be your sister! Have fun in AZ! I am so excited that you guys are going to come visit us soon!

Nichole Barney said...

Isn't crazy just when you settle in and feel good about something things take a turn. I guess this is how Heavenly Father wants it to be. He never wants us to get to comfortable. I have had this happen so many times in my life and all we can really do is up our faith and commitment and know that Heavenly Father will guide and direct what is best for us. I can't wait to understand everything one day! You are amazing an I know because of the way you live your life you will receive many blessings along the way. I can't wait for conference! I love it!

Jessica said...

The Lord works in such mysterious ways. Just when you think you are figuring out what you are supposed to be doing, you get thrown a curve ball. I get them all the time, more in the past year and a half than I can remember. For me, lately, I have discovered that sometimes I have to have my faith tried just a little bit more. I have had some experiences with the pregnancy that left me feeling very similar to how you have stated you are feeling in this post. I too, am looking forward to conference weekend, but should you feel like a little appetizer there are two talks by Elder Bednar that gave me great comfort in my own situation and they talk about faith and the Lord's timing. Just look them up on LDS.org if you are interested. They are called "Ask in Faith" and "Pray Always." Good luck Megan, I am sure you will figure out what this bump in the road means for you!

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List