Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Word

Not to be confused with, "oh my word." I mean it in the possessive form. Like my actual word. For the year that is. My older sister Nichole, who is incredible, has this equally incredible friend named Shawni.
I read her blog, cause i'm a blog stalker like that. Don't act like you don't do the same.
Well, every year Shawni picks a word for the year. This words sort of becomes her theme.
I copied her last year and my word for 2009 was LOVE. It was a fun one. It was something I thought about a lot. Love towards my family, my friends, strangers, etc. etc. etc. It really helped me to have a focus, and a reminder.
I have thought a lot about what I want to focus on this year, and I am excited with my word for 2010.
I think that service is something that I could really use some improvement on. I know that I can definitely be more mentally service oriented. More apt to serve, if you will. So, I've decided to make it my word. Lucky for me I got a new calling today that should help me right along with this. :) I love this section from President Monson's Talk from last conference entitled, "What have I done for someone today?"

"My brothers and sisters, my heart has seldom been as touched and grateful as it was when Sister Monson and I literally spent hours reading of these gifts. My heart is full now as I speak of the experience and contemplate the lives which have been blessed as a result, for both the giver and the receiver.

The words from the 25th chapter of Matthew come to mind:

“Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

“For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

“Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

“Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

“When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

“Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”12

My brothers and sisters, may we ask ourselves the question which greeted Dr. Jack McConnell and his brothers and sisters each evening at dinnertime: “What have I done for someone today?” May the words of a familiar hymn penetrate our very souls and find lodgment in our hearts:

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?13

That service to which all of us have been called is the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.

As He enlists us to His cause, He invites us to draw close to Him. He speaks to you and to me:

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”14

If we truly listen, we may hear that voice from far away say to us, as it spoke to another, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”15 That each may qualify for this blessing from our Lord is my prayer, and I offer it in His name, even Jesus Christ, our Savior, amen."


3 comments:

Cristin said...

My dear Megs. Mine is grateful.

Love your word. :)

Trav and Linds said...

Love the word of the year, and you will be awesome in your new calling! xoxoxo

The Smith Clan said...

I love your new word! I have a feeling you will be doing lots of service this year, as a new R.S. Pres. (Like you wern't already doing that. ) By the way, what was with the random comments on your newest blog??????

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List