Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I believe in angels.

For those of you who aren't in Utah right now. Just know it hasn't stopped snowing for a good 24 hours I swear. It is ridiculous. Luckily for me I drive a little mazda3. Perfect for those snow packed streets right? Yep, you better believe I love that feeling of pulling out of my driveway to play Highland Park Exit Roulette. What is that you ask? Well, its this really fun game that all the Highland Park residents get to play on snowy days such as today.

The rules. 1) your car can't have 4wheel drive/all wheel drive 2) you have to leave at times of the day when nobody else in the complex can come to help you (it's everyman for himself here) 3) the snow plows can't have come to plow our complex (oh wait...they never do that, so rule three is basically a given). 4) you have to have your hair done, be ready for the day. (This way once you have to get out of your car the snow will surely wreck what you've beautified.)
So how is the game played you ask? Make a driving "run for it" if you will...and attempt to get out of the 1 of 2 uphill/snowpacked/ice covered exits. This is where the fun comes in. The lucky ones pick up enough speed and actually get enough traction to make it out unscathed. Free to enjoy the outer, plowed, not so treacherous world. The not-so-lucky ones have somewhat of a different ending. Usually ending up stuck somewhere along the way, without help, in a downpour of snow, "S.O.L" as some might say.

As many of you know I have, several times, ended up in the latter category. My suite little black beauty has a knack for getting itself stuck it seems. The outcome today was not so much different. The scene? Me on my way to work at approx 12:45. I get in the car, make it out of my snowpacked driveway, and set out for a good game of roulette. I look at my options. Exit 1. Steeper but shorter, the down fall on this one is that it require a sharp righthand turn. I don't feel like i have the traction for a turn like that. Exit 2. A longer hill, but with less of an incline. Sounds like the right choice eh? The clentcher? The deep divet/gutter leading onto the street where snow tends to accumulate in large amounts. We'll call it the divet of death. I decide to go with exit 2, hoping that I might be able to pick up enough speed to slide through the divet of death. I go for it. Picking up speed just before I get to the incline. I make it 3/4 the way up...i'm so close to victory. Slowing...slowing...not moving...sliding...moving even less....back of my car slowly fishtailing to the right...noooooo the divet!! Yep. you guessed it. Car stopped. RIGHT in the Divet. I've lost. Highland Park - 1. Megan - 0. Hmmm... what to do? My sweet neighbor Traci pulls up behind me, (with ease might I add...stupid 4wheel drive!) She gets out and helps me try to push, reverse, slide, jostle....Nothing. Even more stuck. This blows. Traci has to go to work. Bye Traci. (Thanks for the valiant effort!!!) Me stuck in the snow again. What to do next? Pray. I say a little prayer. What now? Of course, Call Benita. "Hi Benita. I'm stuck." (Like I expect her to magically be able to get me out. I guess I was just looking for some sympathy here.) Benita: "You are? Uh oh. I don't really know what to tell you..." (Ok she was a lot more sympathetic than that, she's been there. She knows...but i'm just reiterrating the point of my being stuck. Not many options.) Me:"Oh my gosh Ben some random truck just pulled up next to me. I think he might be here to help me. Call you back."
Out of NOWHERE. This man in a big white Provo City truck pulls up next to me, and get's out. "You look like you need some help." (hmmm...am i that obvious?) YES. YES. YES. I need lots of help. Please help!! He proceeds to get a chain out of the back of his truck, and pull me out of the snowbank i'd nestled myself into so comfortably. And then he was gone, and I was back to getting to work. Just like that. An answer to a prayer? Most DEFINITELY yes! I SERIOUSLY don't know what I would have done.

The moral of the story? Angels are real. They do exist, and they drive around Provo in white trucks.
The other moral? Don't play roulette. Odds are you'll lose.
Thankyou man in the white truck. Whoever you are.

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Your peril sounds vaguely familiar to a phone call I got a few hours ago. Rebecca was stuck getting out of our driveway in the Impala. She was going to pick up Rachel. The frustrating thing is that there were several men who were so busy using their snowblowers on their own driveways that they didn't have a minute or a few to help her. Lot's of idots passed her giving her dirty looks for being partially in the street. After calling me 3,000 miles away on a tropical island for advice an angel, a woman,came out to help her and finally flagged one of the burley men to help them. She was quite exhasperated to say the least. This is just one of those ten year storms it sounds like. I can honestly say I am not missing it just feel bad for those who are struggling with it. Hey Meagn just a little note about your fitness blog, I love reading it, but with my aging eyes sometimes it is hard to read with some of the color combinations. I think you should definately write a book!!!!!

Kacey said...

those truck angels are everywhere...i swear. when i was 16, i slid into a snowbank while trying to drive my little car through po-dunk country roads to get to early morning seminary. don't worry...i had wet hair, it was 5:45 am, it was like 4 degrees, it was before the time of cell phones, and i was hopelessly, ridiculously stuck. i was just standing next to my car wondering what the crap to do. i asked Heavenly Father for help...and i, too, was blessed by a truck angel! this guy wearing carhardt overalls in a massive white truck came out of nowhere to save the day.

Kara said...

I just laughed so hard reading your post. I miss you so much!
Glen is thinking of getting a Mazda 3...do you like yours?

Kate said...

Yeah I drive a Passat...I understand. I got stuck last week...bad. And my sweet neighbor (who I have never talked to, I am such a good neighbor) came and dug and pushed me out. Angels, yes.

camiwells said...

ummm megan i loved your little story write a book already!!!

Unknown said...

Megan, I love & miss you!! I used to live in SLC in college and I'm with ya, on the snow stories. My only added detail was that I had just moved from Hawaii and had never even SEEN snow, much less ever driven in it:) Love you, Lisa Fullmer

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List