Sunday, August 10, 2008

Move Over Betsy Ross....


Ok, so I'm not usually one to post a big ol' solo shot, but I'm quite proud of my latest venture so I had to share it will you :) I was looking through some magazines that we had around the house and I found myself thinking...I could make that...several times. Not that I think i'm some seamstress, because I most definitely am NOT. I am quite the rookie actually. However, I definitely thought I could try. So, I set of to Joann's and began wandering through the fabric first. I found the CUTEST flower printed fabric. Very Anthropologie. Quite excited I went to search through the patterns. This proved to be a little more difficult than I thought due to the fact that the last pattern I used was for pajama pants in 9th grade sewing (shout out to chels and liz...good times!) I looked through all the patterns and found one that looked similar to the vision I had in my head, and I was set. I got out my mom's old Bernina Sewing Machine that works like a charm, laid out my fabric, and got my pattern cut out. As I laid my pattern on my fabric I realized that matching up the patterns of the flowers with the correct direction of the pattern was a little out of my skill range, so it was back to Joann's to find a solid. I decided on the bright purple which would prove easier to match up. I think the most time I spent on this project was looking at the pattern directions. I was so worried I'd make a huge mistake. It's just not the same as when Master Seamstress Elaine is over your shoulder helping you out! Anyways...I did it!! I actually made a skirt. I'm quite excited about it. I feel like this is going to be a fun little addiction. :)

18 comments:

Jenna said...

My mom and I both think that you could sell that skirt just about anywhere! I love it Megs!

Nichole Barney said...

Megs that is so cute! Mom will be so proud! I think that is so great! I use to love to sew in high school and now I can't even sew on a button. I run everything over to mom its pretty sad.

Unknown said...

meggie!!! i love it!! i can't wait til you start your own boutique with skirts AND necklaces and make tons of money... all i can say is that i'm glad you got your sewing machine back from the capital house... stupid car seats. :)

Nichole Barney said...

p.s. you like skinny and tan and sooooo cute!

Trav and Linds said...

It turned out so cute! I am super impressed. Let me know when you work on your next project and maybe i'll be daring enough to try it. You look adorable!

Rebecca said...

Megan that is so cute! I really wish I could sew, or that I was brave enough to try!

The Smith Clan said...

Megan! I'm so excited for you!! You did it without my help! And it is so cute!!I love the purple and you look darling in it!!! Way to go! LOve IT!!!

Unknown said...

Megan nicely done! I am super impressed. I wouldn't even try to attempt that, but you did aweseome!

Karrissa Winward said...

Way to go!!! Looks like Elaine's genes got passed down!!

Ashley said...

Adorable! Good job...I didn't even have an idea that you did it yourself until I read the post!

Amber said...

Megs! You are the cutest seamstress I have ever seen! I love that you are making your own clothing and becoming a wonderful homemaker :) Can you please wear that cute skirt to the luncheon on Friday and my wedding? PLEASE?!?! We will have to take a picture. I can't wait to see you!! Love you!!

McKenzie said...

Will you make me one?? I love it!!! I'm very impressed. Great job!

Liz & Zac said...

Okay, that skirt is ADORABLE! And you look so cute! I knew you would be a pro because our sewing techniques in the 9th grade were beyond out standing. I will never forget those PJ pants that we made and WORE TO SCHOOL! And I shall never forget Chelsey sewing her finger in TLC, still makes me cringe to this day. But seriously, way to go cause that skirt is way cute!

Benita said...

megs you are so domestic.. haha :) thanks ____... i forgot his name but you know who i am talking about. Seriously though i am amazed that this little project of yours. i should be getting my sisters sewing machine soon and i can't wait to make something too!!

Jessica said...

Cute skirt Megan. We had a lesson in RS a few weeks ago about Modesty and how Pres. Hinckley said at a Young Women's general meeting a few years ago, that we should all get a sewing machine and learn to sew. He was referring to a time that would come when we would not be able to find clothing that is modest enough for us and we would have to make our own and alter our own. The thought makes me sick because I can't sew anything except a straight line. It looks like you will be okay!!! Good job on the skirt. You're more brave than I!

✬Sydnee✬ said...

CUTE CUTE Megan!!!

Chelsey said...

Look at you! I bet Elaine is beaming with pride! You've come a long way from our homemade tanks amd PJ pants. I love it!

Kate said...

I am impressed....I think i stopped at the windsock. Thank you Oak Canyon

my tweets


My Current Reading List...if only I could read one book at a time...

  • The Goose Girl
  • All But My life **Just finished this one. It is absolutely amazing. Definitely makes you appreciate your blessings!
  • The BOM; of course ;)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Les Miserables (been reading this one for a year...so good, but taking me forever)

Munch & Crunch

Munch & Crunch
Click here to check out my healthy living blog!! :)

About Me

My photo
My Name is Megan. I am a certified personal trainer, runner, and a baker who loves all things health and fitness! I'd love to answer any questions you may have. Email me at megolina21 at gmail.com

My Blog List